Building an App with Sinatra

Today I completed my first web application with RSpec and a GUI without following a tutorial. Check out what I built here, hosted on Heroku. There was guidance in the tips in the instructions, but I worked through the cycle of implementing, checking error messages, and Googling for solutions when needed.

The project was expanding on a Ruby code that I had written on an earlier project for the command line. I wrote the RSpec tests afterwards, which I’ve learned isn’t the best but it helped me improve. Today I implemented Sinatra and laid out the page with CSS and an image from Unsplash.

I spent the most time with “NoMethodError” error messages and getting the page to load without some of the parameters submitted by the user. To summarize, I learned to set the variables to defaults and use a conditional statement instructing Sinatra to load the page if those parameters are nil.

Advertisements